Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Over: Microsoft buys Mojang and Bukkit is Dead

Game Over: Microsoft buys Mojang and Bukkit is Dead

Hey guys, I have some bad news for you...

Over the past few weeks there have been some developments regarding Minecraft that made it harder for server owners to run their servers.

It started with Mojang's new EULA, which made it harder for server owners to monetize their servers, but that was something that could be handled (at least by me).

About a month after that, the Bukkit community received a DMCA complaint and had to stop working on the software altogether. This makes it literally impossible for me to continue my work, as all of my plugins and servers are 100% Bukkit-based.

And if that wasn't bad enough, Microsoft bought Mojang for $2.5 billion, but let's face it, anyone would've agreed to that deal. Except for Notch, who left the team shortly after.

Under these circumstances I simply cannot continue working on the servers, and to be honest, I don't want to anymore. Money or not, Mojang has made some pretty bad decisions imho that not only lead to the discontinuation of Bukkit, but also to the systematic castration of server owners whose only income might be their servers (the latter doesn't apply to me, but to plenty other people out there).

Just to be clear: Even if Bukkit hadn't shut down, it would've only been a matter of time until I stopped working on the servers altogether, because of the other reasons mentioned above.

Before I go, however, I have two things left to say that I'd like to share with you:

1. As promised a long time ago, I'll make all of my plugins' source code as well as my server software publicly available on the forums within the next few weeks. You will have to have at least some coding experience to make everything work on your machine, but I don't want my gamemodes to go into oblivion without any trace. This way you can keep playing Epidemic, Team Deathmatch and Hardcore PvP privately with your friends. Due to the discontinuation of Bukkit, however, you will have to use an older Minecraft version.

2. I thank every single member of the HCMCPVP (formerly Hydra Minecraft) community for their consistent support and encouragement as well as their criticism and honest feedback. I made the servers mostly for you and I'm sorry I have to break this to you in such a more or less sudden post. I'll really miss you.

-------------------------

References:

Microsoft buys Mojang: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/15/mi...t-buys-mojang/
    Notch leaves the team: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/15/no...ns-on-twitter/
    Bukkit DMCA complaint: http://dl.bukkit.org/dmca/notification.txt
    Bukkit team members leave: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/an-...oodbye.310086/
    Mojang and the Bukkit Project: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/moj...roject.309715/
    A very detailed goodbye message: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ins...e-here.310087/
    !NO SUPPORT VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE - USE THE FORUMS!

So uh, the servers going down?

This is the second time this has happened to me

I spend money on a server and shortly after it dies, seems to be a curse or something.

Here is some additional information (for those who care) on why Bukkit and Spigot died:

Bukkit was acquired by Mojang over 2+ years, however there was one contributor named Wesley Wolfe (aka Wolvereness) who wrote pretty much most of the code of Bukkit (15k+ lines, over 30%) and then filed a DMCA complaint against Bukkit, since they were 'infringing' his copyright by using his code. He basically revoked all his contributions. This also affects Spigot since it's based on Bukkit afterall.

The Bukkit team (or what's left of it anyway) now has to start pretty much from scratch, which is not an easy task at all (keep in mind that Bukkit is over 4 years old).

Why did he file a complaint? Did he not know that the code was going to be public or something?

That's not known afaik. I'm assuming that it had something to do with Mojang revealing that they bought Bukkit over 2 years ago (which they revealed at the end of August this year) and Wolfe may not have liked that and revoked his rights.

Well that no one will play minecraft anymore....anyone else play league of legends?

I regret buying Minecraft. Sucks to know the only good Minecraft server in existence is being obliterated along with any hopes of any half decent ones being made from this point on. See ya everyone~ (PM me for contact info, if you so wish to keep in touch)

R.I.P Minecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
    R.I.P Minecraft
    My thoughts exactly. Ah well, I have Magicka now

Little note: I'll still be working on my own projects, so if I happen to make a cool game that has multiplayer, I'll send you all an email so you can play together again